The Department of Pediatric and Preventive Dentistry is located in the left wing of the school on ground floor with a UG and PG Clinical Sections, Seminar Room, Department Library cum Digital Section, Department Computer section, Counseling room, faculty cabin and Post Graduate Student’s room. The Department is equipped with 38 Dental chairs units, X-ray Unit with RVG and a well-equipped laboratory. Department is equipped with latest audio visual aids for UG and PG curriculum activities and separate children’s recreation and entertainment section.
The Department of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry functions with the aims and objective of providing specialized care to children in a very safe and caring atmosphere. Department is well equipped with state of the art infrastructure, dental materials and equipment’s. WAND (Computer controlled Local anesthesia delivery system), Electro cautery, Nitrous oxide sedation unit to name a few. Department also delivers comprehensive quality dental care under General Anesthesia.
- The department has well equipped under graduate section for third and final year students.
- Our strength is good patient OPD, which reflects quality care.
- The under graduates are trained in examining the child patient, assessing growth, behavior and arriving at the diagnosis and formulating the comprehensive treatment plan.
- The under graduates also assist graduate students in treating patients including those with Special Health Care Needs.
- The students are monitored by experienced faculty regularly with formative and summative competency assessment format during their clinical posting.
- The students are encouraged to undertake research and actively participate in professional conferences.
- The Department has innovative, interactive teaching methods like presentations by the students, demonstrations, case based group discussions.
- The Post Graduate training programme is of three years duration starting with first quarter which includes preclinical exercises and learning about comprehensive examination of children and a detailed case history recording.
- The clinical training programme starts after 3 months with application of their skills and knowledge for comprehensive treatment of children.
- The programmes are characteristically intensive and organized with main focus on improving the skills and efficient training of the post graduates.
- We have an established culture of active learning with didactic instruction.
- The media of teaching and learning include seminars, journal club, pedogogy, tutorials, demonstrations, case based learning, laboratory simulation exercises, clinical work, workshops and conferences.
- Monthly dental camp to schools and oral health awareness programmes to the children.
- Clinical progression is geared to be systematic and progressive monitoring of every case / patients at all levels of learning.
- The post graduate students are guided to deliver comprehensive dental care to the children with special health care needs in dedicated Department of Special Health Care Needs.
- The Department follows the concept of evidence based learning in delivering patient care.
- The students are encouraged to carry out short term research activities along with their curriculum dissertation.
- Students are motivated and guided to publish their research work in renowned journals.