Conservative Dentistry Department
Welcome to the Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics.
The most common reasons warranting a visit to a dentist are tooth pain, caries, broken teeth or darkened and discoloured teeth. All these problems receive treatment in the Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics. The pain is alleviated, the discoloured teeth are whitened, and the broken and carious teeth are restored to their full form, function and aesthetics. All in all, we restore the brightest smile on the patient’s face.
To provide these treatments satisfactorily, one needs to acquire sound knowledge, learn the techniques and keep on honing their skills required for the same. All these attributes are taught and encouraged in the Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics of our esteemed college.
Dr. Priya Horatti
Professor and Head
Dr. Priya Horatti is presently heading the Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics. She has been associated with the department since 1997. She has also headed the Department of General Dentistry from 2011 to 2014. She has to her credit numerous publications and the privilege of having taught many undergraduate and postgraduate students who are successful in the field and are placed in many distinguished posts.
- To train undergraduates from II BDS to internship.
- To train the post graduates.
Undergraduate teaching program
- The undergraduates are trained to diagnose and treat simple dental defects like dental caries, discoloration of teeth and simple endodontic procedures.
- The undergraduate training program commences from II BDS with lectures and practical exercises. The students will be appearing for only the practical examinations in II year.
- The lecture program will continue in III BDS and they will start with their clinical work when posted in the department.
- In IV BDS the students are posted in the Clinics for further training and the lecture programs will continue.
- The students give their clinical and theory examination at the end of IV BDS.
- During Internship, the students are posted in the department where they improve their abilities to diagnose and treat the patients.
- This department offers postgraduate course for advanced education in this field. The primary objective of postgraduate program is to produce a scientifically oriented and clinically proficient individual.
- The training during post-graduation is aimed at bringing out the good dentists in the field of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics who can handle all kinds of dental problems of the patients with the use of the latest available materials and techniques.
- The Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics includes a postgraduate section. Every year, 6 students are admitted to the postgraduate course. The duration of the entire post graduation course is 3 years.
- The Post Graduate training program starts with pre-clinical assignments and work which lasts for 6 months where the students perform all the exercises on extracted teeth and typhodont teeth. During this period, they learn to handle the laboratory equipments and use of various techniques.
- Following completion of the preclinical work, the students will begin their clinical posting where they are given the opportunity to handle all the equipments in the department to enable most effective treatment of clinical cases.
- The post graduates will be guided to present seminars and journal clubs on a weekly basis and fulfil their quota for the same.
- They will participate in interdepartmental discussions related to interesting dental cases.
- Each student has to submit library dissertation to the department.
- Each PG student has to present one paper at our National level Conference and one poster at a PG Convention.
- The PG student should submit a dissertation towards fulfilment of the University requirements.
- Mock examinations that follow the University exam pattern will be held at regular intervals in the department to aid the students in their preparation.
Conferences/Workshops/CDE’s (conducted last 3 yrs)
- 2nd National Conference of Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry India on the topic titled “Art of excellence with all ceramic restorations” was organized by Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics on 5th and 6th January 2018.
- Continuing Dental Education programs
- Live demonstration on retrieval of a broken instrument using 3D microscope held on 5th March 2018 with the resource person as Dr Gopi Krishna.
- Mona Kakar spoke on Current paradigm in Aesthetic Dentistry on 12th November 2019. This CDE was held in Collaboration with GSK pharma.
- Chandramouli conducted a workshop on ‘Restore and reinforce’ on 10th January 2019.
- Esthetic Dentistry programme was held on 16th & 17th August 2019. Dr. Mohan Kumar delivered a lecture and also conducted a hands on workshop on Direct and Indirect Esthetic Restorations
- Prashant Bhasin conducted a hands on workshop on Magnification in Restorative Dentistry & Endodontics held on 25th and 26th October 2019.
- A lecture on Simplified Modern Endodontics was held on 11th March 2019 by Dr Raghu Narayan.
- “Cons Endo Week” A week long string of activities are held from 5th of March to 10th of March annually to educate and promote Restorative and Endodontic treatment to the general public.