Conservative Dentistry Department
Welcome to the Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics. Since Dental caries and pulpal disease are the commonest problems suffered by the human population in India, being Endodontists and specialists in conservative dentistry, we should be proud to alleviate these problems by providing the necessary treatment. To provide this, one should have necessary knowledge, skill, desire and attitudes. It is my pleasure and honor to mention a few words about the Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics of this esteemed college.
Dr. Balaram Naik, Prof & Head
Head of Department
Dr. Balaram Naik has been associated with the department since 2002. He is Professor and Head of the Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics. He has the credit of having produced many Post Graduate students who have been serving in well-established institutions in India.
Activities of this department comprise the following.
- To train undergraduates from II BDS to internship.
- To train the post graduates. The undergraduates are trained to diagnose simple conditions and treat any kind of simple dental defects like dental caries, discolouration of teeth and the basic endodontic procedures.
- The undergraduate training programme commences from 2nd BDS with lectures and practical exercises and only the practical examinations in this year.
- The lecture programme and clinical posting continue in 3rd year of BDS.
- In Final BDS the students are posted in the Clinics and the lecture programmes continue.
- The students give their clinical examination in this year.
- During Internship, the students are posted for 8 weeks and they are expected to diagnose and treat some of the simple conditions.
- Postdoctoral Endodontics offers two distinct programs for advanced education in this field. The primary objective of both programs is to produce a scientifically oriented and clinically proficient individual.
- The department of conservative dentistry and Endodontics includes a postgraduate section. Every year 6 students are admitted to the postgraduate course. The duration of the course is 3 years.
- The training is aimed at bringing out the good specialists in Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics who can handle any kind of dental problems of the patients with the presently available materials, techniques and other technological gadgets in the field.
- The Post Graduate training programme is of three year duration starting with pre-clinical work for 6 months where the students perform all the exercises on extracted and typhodont teeth, which they are supposed to do on patients later in their clinical postings. During this period, they also learn to handle the laboratory techniques and equipments. This is followed by their clinical posting where in they are given opportunity to handle all types of clinical conditions in the department and the use of various modern equipments. The trainees are guided to present seminars, library dissertations, and journal clubs.
- The trainees are encouraged to attend various conferences and participate in the deliberations. The P.G. Students are required to prepare a dissertation as a partial fulfillment of MDS requirements.
- Every week the PG students will present one seminar and attend one journal club.
- Every month they participate in interdepartmental discussions related to interesting dental cases.
- Each PG student has to present one paper at National level (either specialty conference or IDA) and one poster at a PG convention
- The PG student should fulfill the university requirements by submitting a dissertation.
- Each student has to submit library dissertation to the department
- Mock examination, that follow the university exam pattern are held 2 months prior to the final examination.