Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Department
The Craniofacial Surgery and Research Centre established in 1998 with the aim of providing quality care at affordable cost, is today a part of the extensive infrastructure of the S.D.M. College of Dental Sciences & Hospital, Dharwad, and one among a few state of the art super-speciality hospitals in the country. Spread over an area of 50000 sq. ft., the Craniofacial Surgery centre is equipped with state of the art facilities to house and treat 50 in-patients.The centre not only has attracted patients from all over the country, but also eminent surgeons of repute from different parts of the world to perform surgeries and conduct teaching sessions.
Major Surgeries covering the following specialized areas:
- Craniofacial Trauma
- Cleft lip and palate
- Oral cancer and other head and neck tumours
- Orthognathic Surgery
- Aesthetic Plastic surgeries
- Microvascular surgery
The centre is well equipped with a clinical laboratory and X-ray unit under one roof. Other advanced investigations like CT / MRI Scan, Doppler Ultrasound are done at attached Medical College Hospital.
- Two existing state of the art theatres are rated as the best internationally.
- A closed circuit T.V. system allows the procedures to be viewed in an air-conditioned auditorium. Besides the excellent facilities, what sets these operation theatres apart is their unique design with one wall of the theatre being made of glass, overlooking a garden, to reduce fatigue during prolonged surgeries.
- A separate well-equipped operation theatre, utilized for minor surgical procedures is located in the OPD complex of the centre
Intensive Care Unit
- A Six-bedded, well-equipped intensive care unit is available for postoperative monitoring and management of critically ill patients.
- The centre wards has 50 beds, of which 30 are in the general ward and the rest are in private rooms. The hospital has been designed to provide patients with a pleasant ambience for quick recovery.
- High quality patient care is provided by dedicated and well-qualified nursing staff.
Minor oral Surgery
- The department has well-planned and spacious clinic to handle the procedures of exodontia and other minor surgical procedures done under local anaesthesia.
- Undergraduates and postgraduates are trained in this section for minor oral surgical procedures.
- Recently another section has been added with the state of art, fully air conditioned and compartmentalized clinic exclusively for the senior postgraduates and the staff.
Towards Higher Learning
- As a reputed teaching center the Craniofacial unit regularly organizes seminars and workshops with participation of faculty from India and abroad. Since its inception more than 25 such national and international scientific events have been conducted.
- The Surgical procedure in progress at Operation theatre can be projected live on to a large screen in a centrally Air conditioned 300 seating capacity auditorium.
- The system allows active interaction between viewers and the surgeons performing the operation.
- The center has an excellent library that is stocked with specialized reference books and a wide range of international journals and a video library.