S.D.M. College of Dental Sciences and Hospital strives to be a model health promoting campus and to support the health of its students and the people in the community with whom they come in contact. All students, who wish to qualify for enrolment at the institution and to undertake clinical care in the institution, must satisfy the institutions pre- and post-admission immunisation requirements. All costs of student compliance with the immunisation requirements will be the responsibility of the student.
- Medical History Form, which includes an immunisation history, shall be given to all new students and must be completed and returned to Student Relations Officer (on the first floor) prior to the students initial registration.
- All incoming students are required to provide to the satisfaction of Student Health:
- Proof of immunisation for measles, mumps, and rubella
- Certification of Varicella (chicken pox) immunity by (a) history of disease, (b) proof of vaccination, or (c) by way of a positive titre.
- Evidence of immunisation against tetanus/diphtheria within the past 10 years, and
- Immunisation against Hepatitis A and B (compulsory vaccination at 0, 1 and 6 month intervals in I BDS) and against Typhoid (compulsory vaccination in I BDS).
- Immunisations required by law or mandated by S.D.M. College of Dental Sciences will not be waived. For example, the requirement for immunisation against Hepatitis B cannot be waived.
- A student who objects to immunisation upon the grounds that immunisation conflicts with his or her bona fide religious beliefs and practices may request a religious waiver.
- A waiver on religious grounds may be obtained by submitting a written request to the Principal.
- This waiver will not apply in case of an emergency or epidemic of disease which is declared by the Ministry of Health.
- Students requesting religious waivers should refer to this policy and contact the Principal for possible curricular implications.