Oral Pathology – Overview
- Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology & Microbiology is the specialty of Dentistry and Pathology that investigates the cause, nature, process and effects of the diseases affecting the Oral and Maxillofacial regions. This is essential for understanding the histological basis of various dental treatment procedures.
- The Department was established in September 1987 with the aim of undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and more importantly the diagnosis of specimens received from various sources (clinics & hospitals) as part of treatment or investigation.
- Department of Oral Pathology is also involved in training the undergraduates in Oral Biology, a composite of basic Dental Sciences & their clinical applications which includes the subject of Dental Morphology, Oral Embryology, Oral Histology and Oral Physiology.
- The Department is concerned with the teaching of Dental Anatomy, Oral Histology and Oral Physiology I BDS students and Oral Pathology to II BDS & III BDS students.
- The Post graduate Course in this speciality has commenced since August 1991. Till date about 90 students have completed their Post-Graduation from our Department and have achieved great heights in their academic and research field at both National and International level.
- Apart from teaching, the Department is engaged in reporting ever since 1989 and is equipped with the all the advanced equipment for this purpose.
- The facilities for photomicrography, fluorescent and dark ground microscopy are frequently used in dissertational studies of Postgraduates of our & other Departments similarly with faculty & undergraduate research studies & for publications.
Dr. Veda Hegde
Professor and Head
She has more than 15 years of experience in this esteemed Institute as an Oral Pathologist. She has graduated from JSS Dental College &Research Centre, Mysore in the year 2000. After securing 28th Rank in the Karnataka State Postgraduate Entrance Examination, she pursued her Post Graduation in Oral Pathology from Government Dental College & Hospital, Bangalore and completed her MDS in 2005.
In addition to imparting knowledge through academic activities to both Undergraduate & Postgraduate students, she also accomplishes her duty as the Warden of the ladies hostel which has more than 300 students.
Her Academic achievements include National & International Publications, been the author of a book, has given guest lectures, guided research work at conferences & conventions which has won many accolades. She has also chaired & judged many scientific sessions at academic forum. She has also been a paper setter, dissertation & synopsis evaluator for many Universities.
She has constantly updated herself from a both professional & personal front. She has completed online courses on Psychological first aid from Johns Hopkins University & Online teaching & Blended learning from the University of Pennsylvania.
She loves to teach students as she feels that it is not only very satisfying but creative and learning process. She also feels that extracurricular activities are as important as academics for the overall development of a student.
Dr. Dhirendra Sirur
Dr Prashant Prabhu
Dr. Niranjan K.C
Dr. Kaveri Hallikeri
- The department is involved in teaching Undergraduate students of II BDS & III BDS in the subjects of Oral Anatomy & Histology and Oral Pathology & Microbiology respectively.
- In Oral Pathology, about 100hrs of theory are taken covering all the basic aspects and 40 hrs of practical classes are taken wherein students are trained to identify the pathology slides, casts and specimens of Oral diseases.
- In Oral Anatomy & Histology, about 85 hrs of theory are taken covering all the basic aspects and 280 hrs of practicals are dealt with respect to the normal histology slides related to tooth development and various other Oro-facial structures, identification of normal morphology and different dentitions of human teeth with the help of casts and specimens.
- It is also related with carving of all permanent teeth.
The department is committed to provide knowledge per excellence to its postgraduates on a well thought out training programme in all spheres through didactic, self learning and interactive teaching methods.
The following are objectives of postgraduate training in Oral Pathology.
To train a graduate dental surgeon so as to ensure higher competence in both general and special pathology dealing with the nature of oral diseases, their causes, processes and effects.
An oral pathologist is expected to perform routine histopathological evaluation of specimens relating to oral and perioral tissues, to carry out routine diagnostic procedures including hematological, cytological, microbiological and immunological investigations.
He/She should also be capable of advising the attendant clinicians regarding the clinico-pathologic aspects of the disease, special investigations as and when necessary and help in the interpretation of collected data.
He/She is expected to have an understanding of current research methodology, collection and interpretation of data, ability to carry out research projects on clinical and or epidemiological aspects, a working knowledge on current databases, automated data retrieval systems, referencing and skill in writing scientific papers.
He/She is expected to present scientific data pertaining to the field, in conferences both as poster and verbal presentations and to take part in group discussions etc.
The following are broad outline of theoretical, clinical and practical courses
Study of principles of routine and special techniques used for histopathology including principles of histochemistry, immunohistochemistry, applied and theoretical biochemical basis of histochemistry as related to oral pathology.
Advanced histological and histopathological study of dental and oral tissues including embryonic considerations, clinical considerations, biology, histology, pathology, prognosis and management of oral oncology.
Concepts of oral premalignancy.
Study of special and applied pathology of oral tissues as well as relation of local pathologic and clinical findings to systemic conditions.
Oral microbiology and their relationship to various branches of dentistry.
Oral microbiology affecting hard & soft tissues.
Study of clinical changes and their significance to dental and oral diseases as related to oral pathology.
Inter institutional postings such as cancer hospital, dermatology & ENT clinics, regional HIV detection centers, sophisticated instrumentation centers for electron microscopy and other techniques.
Maintenance of records of all postgraduate activities.
University Dissertation / Thesis.